Dr. Shahin Tabatabaei
Specialty: Urologic Oncology and minimally-invasive surgery and Kidney Cancer.
Medical School: Shahid Beheshti (National) University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Residency: Massachusetts General Hospital
Fellowship: Urology-Oncology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
Fellowship: Urology –Oncology at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit StBoston, MA 02114
Licensure and Certification
- Diplomate, American Board of Urology
- Massachusetts State Medical License (Active through 2017)
UroLift Local Anesthesia Protocol
- UroLift Anesthesia Protocol: This information is presented in conjunction with Dr. Tabatabaei. Surgical technique, medication and anesthesia regimens are based on his experience with the UroLift System. Medical practice is solely the responsibility of the treating physician and not the named physicians or NeoTract, Inc.
- The steps in this protocol are presented in the sequence performed by Dr.Tabatabaei.
- MAC Anesthesia Protocol
- Pre procedure
- Fleet enema on the day of the procedure.
- Oral medication:
- Lorazepam 1mg, 1-2 tablets one hour prior to procedure.
- Antibiotics (Fluroquinilones) 2 hours prior to procedure.
- Advil, 600mg 2 hours prior to procedure and every 6 hours for 48 hours
- Prostate block
- Transrectal prostate US (TRUS) guided
- Instillation of 1% Lidocaine with Epinephrine, 10cc, injected:
- 4ml Posterolateral to the prostate, to the junction of Seminal Vessicles and Prostate.
- 4ml cephalad to the seminal vesicles, between prostate and Bladder Neck, blocking the inferior Epigastric plexus.
- 2ml at the apex at or around the membranous urethra. Repeat on contralateral side